Submitted by Charles Hartig
COVID-19 (Coronavirus) cases continue to proliferate, and many public health initiatives have been implemented to prevent community spread. Concerns about COVID- 19 are valid, but they are cause for us to be prepared, not frightened. As declared in our mission statement, Hartig Drug will continue to serve our local communities with vital health and pharmacy services. Ultimately, we have taken precautions of our own to help prevent the potential spread of COVID-19 in our stores, keeping our employees and customers safe.
Manager Missy Burress, at the Prophetstown location, says the store is operating with regular hours and services. Delivery and curbside pick up are also available by calling the store. 815-537-2400.
All Hartig Drug affiliated locations and stores have been instructed to use enhanced cleaning methods to disinfect all highly contacted areas and surfaces. These aggressive protocols will keep those surfaces clean, in turn, keeping customers safe.
At this point in time we ask that customers feeling ill, or having flu-like symptoms, to please refrain from entering any Hartig Drug location to pick up prescriptions. We are happy to deliver prescriptions to your home, mail-out medications, offer curbside pickup, and utilize drive-thru windows where applicable. This allows our pharmacy team members to continue to do their jobs without the threat of contracting COVID-19
Also, please help us follow these pharmacy-specific tips and requests during this time:
- Call in prescription refills three (3) business days in advance to expedite pharmacy dispensing processes and limit time in the pharmacy area. Many insurance providers are allowing insurance overrides for “refill too soon” and “prior authorizations;” however, the pharmacy will need time to process these prescriptions and sort through various requests given the circumstances.
- Hartig Drug Company will be limiting purchases of essential cleaning supplies, hand sanitizer, and other items to maintain a steady flow of necessary products.
- Please do not bring in prescription bottles or other items for disposal unless absolutely necessary, this will minimize potential contaminants.
- If you are ill with flu-like symptoms, please contact the pharmacy in advance and arrange for your prescription to be delivered, mailed, or dropped-off curbside at our location.
- Hartig Drug Company has reached out to all of its prescription drug suppliers for guidance related to adequate drug supply. We are pleased to confirm that our drug suppliers do not expect any substantial drug shortages as most have six to 12 months of drug products on-hand. While this may not be true for every drug, Hartig Drug has taken many steps to ensure the integrity and availability of our drug supply for our tri-state area patients.
We offer these general health care tips to our customers, patients, and staff, as well as their families, healthy:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds especially after you have been in a public place or after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing. If soap and water are not readily available, use a hand sanitizer that contains at least 60 to 70% alcohol. Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick. Put distance between yourself and others if COVID-19 is spreading in your community. Stay home if you become sick, and remain home until you are free of symptoms for an acceptable length of time.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces daily.
- Cover your mouth with a tissue or sleeve, not your hands, when you cough or sneeze.
We will continue to do everything in our power to keep our communities healthy, whether that is through informing the public on COVID-19 facts and tips, to trying our best to carry all of the necessary products keep you safe. As this issue evolved Hartig Drug Company will keep the public and employees informed through traditional media outlets, social media, and internal communication processes.